Tryon Palace in New Bern
During colonial days, Governor William Tryon had an architect imported from London to design a Georgian-style structure for his family home. John Hawks completed the structure in 1770 and “Tryon Palace” served as the first permanent capitol of North Carolina. It was at this site that the First Session of the General Assembly was held after the Revolutionary War. It housed the State governors until 1794. Four year’s later, a fire destroyed the original building which took thirty years to rebuild. Over the years improvements were made to the palace and its grounds until finally in 1969 the palace was re-opened.
Originally published on Blogger